The Art & Science of the Brazilian Butt Lift
Is a Butt Lift
Right for me?
Making the decision to get a butt lift is big choice and you need to do your homework so that you feel confident that you are making the best choice for your body.
With that in mind, our team of medical professionals and board-certified surgeons have put together this comprehensive resource designed to help to answer your questions about butt lift candidacy, different types of procedures, recovery times, costs and much, much more.
Remember that you can use the links to the left to navigate to specific sections based on the questions you may have.
And as always, if you can't find the answers you are looking for here, please feel free to schedule an informational call with our one of our team members at LUXE Medical Artistry.
WHAT IS A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT PROCEDURE?
A Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) is a surgical procedure that uses a patient’s fat to make a higher, rounder and/or fuller buttocks without implants.
During the procedure, our surgeon performs LipoSculpture to harvest unwanted fat from other areas of the body — usually the abdomen, back and flanks. Our surgeon then uses a technique known as a ‘gluteal fat augmentation’ to inject the harvested fat into the buttocks and hips.
The steps of the procedure include:
- Anesthesia: At LUXE Medical Artistry, Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) procedures are preformed using tumescent method (otherwise known as local anesthesia). The tumescent solution is composed of saline, Lidocaine with Epinephrine and Sodium Bicarbonate. This solution is infiltrated into the fat beneath the skin, causing the targeted area to become tumescent, in other words, swollen and firm. The Lidocaine within the solution provides a complete numbing sensation that eliminates the need for general anesthesia or IV sedation. The Epinephrine provides localized vasoconstriction that virtually eliminates surgical bleeding during the LipoSculpture and fat transfer. This tumescent technique eliminates the risks associated with other forms of anesthesia.
- LipoSculpture: Small incisions are placed at each donor site (hidden along the natural contours of the body and placed below/under the bikini line). This LipoSculpture technique utilizes a specialized liposuction cannula that gently vibrates and oscillates, allowing our surgeon to remove fat more efficiently and with more precision than other liposuction methods. The designed vibration allows for an easier and gentler maneuver through fibrous tissue – preserving fat cells. This vibration also creates an easier navigation through dense tissue allowing for grater precision and definition to further achieve the illusion of a contoured physique.
- Fat Purification: After the fat has been harvested, the cells are purified. The purification process removes blood, oils and any harmful chemicals so that only the strongest fat cells are left and used for transfer.
- Fat Transfer: The final step in the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) is the fat transfer. The harvested fat is threaded into the layered tissue of the buttocks to lift, increase volume, and improves overall shape.
AM I A GOOD CANDIATE FOR A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT?
The next question many patients ask is: should I get a BBL? Is my body right for the proceedure? Will it even make a difference?
Tye truth is, ideal candidates for a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) are patients who may feel unsatisfied with volume loss of the buttocks, who experience an unaesthetic shape of the buttocks, who lack of firmness and/or who merely want a curvier shape. Additionally:
- The patient is in good general health.
- The patient has maintained a consistent body weight prior to undergoing the procedure, with enough excess body fat to harvest and transfer.
- The patient has tried other ways to get a shapelier appearance (such as diet and exercise) with no success.
Beyond these basic factors however, our surgeon can evaluate unique factors to ensure that patients are proper prospects of a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL).
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT?
As you continue your journey to a better butt, it's important to consider the key benefits a BBL provides. Understanding that a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) requires LipoSculpture (otherwise known as power-assisted liposuction) in order to harvest fat for transfer, there are multiple benefits to using the power-assisted liposuction that LUXE Medical Artistry offers, as opposed to traditional liposuction techniques.
Traditional methods require the surgeon to manually move the cannula back and forth through fibrous tissue. Traditional methods can lead to surgeon fatigue and prevent a surgeon from removing all of the fat necessary for the procedure. Power-assisted liposuction involves a specialized mechanical device attached to the cannula that gently vibrates and oscillates. The vibration creates an easier navigation through dense tissue, allowing for more fat removal. This device not only aids in the removal of fat, but also enables our surgeon to be more precise and sculptural in the fat removal.
The power-assisted liposuction technique yields more and undisrupted fat cells. Therefore, only the strongest fat cells are transferred and less unwanted fat absorption occurs. Further pros include:
Smaller Incision Sites
The power-assisted liposuction cannula has a much smaller diameter than the conventional cannula. The suction tube is also smaller. Using a smaller cannula and tube allows our surgeon to perform the procedure through a smaller incision. The smaller the incision – the less chance there is for infection to set in. Therefore, there is less healing time.
Small incisions are placed along the natural contours of the body to camouflage each access site. These small scars can be improved with the application of topical creams that are provided by LUXE at the time of the procedure.
Power-assisted liposuction allows for greater precision. A thinner cannula allows our surgeon to target areas more precisely. This allows for an increased ability to sculpt the tissue into a more natural and aesthetically pleasing shape. The precision of power-assisted liposuction also means that the surrounding areas experience fewer traumas, and therefore, patients experience less recovery time.
Reduced Risk: Those who undergo power-assisted liposuction are exposed to fewer risks and have fewer complications than patients undergoing older, more conventional liposuction techniques. Additionally, surgical procedures preformed under the tumescent method (local anesthesia) is much less invasive and the risks to the body diminish significantly.
Reduced Recovery Time
Patients undergoing power-assisted require a shorter recovery period than those undergoing other types of liposuction. Additionally, surgical procedures preformed under the tumescent method (local anesthesia) are much less invasive and therefore, require less downtime.
Power-assisted liposuction can remove up to 30% more fat than other techniques of liposuction.
WHAT TO EXPECT POST-BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT PROCEDURE
Procedural Medication Side Effects
Nausea and vomiting can be a common side effect of the medications used for analgesia. Post-operative delirium is also very common. This drowsiness and confusion will only last as long as the oral analgesia (pain medication) remains in the patient’s system.
Pain and Discomfort
Patients are likely to experience overall discomfort and perhaps a burning-like sensation throughout the areas treated. This pain will peak at about 24 hours post-op. The severity will vary, but prescribed pain medication will help alleviate the pain. As the days go on, the pain will subside.
After a LipoSculpture procedure, patients are likely to notice a bloodstained fluid oozing from the treated sites. This is normal and expected after the procedure. This fluid is the numbing solution that the physician injects prior to the procedure. Patients will drain fluid from the treated sites for 24-72 hours. Expect to change the dressings/bandages in these areas 2-3 times a day for the first 24-72 hours, as they will become saturated with excess fluid.
Possible Swelling, Asymmetry, and Inconsistencies
Do not be alarmed by swelling, and for BBL patients – concerns about asymmetry of the buttocks. It is normal for one buttock to heal and settle quicker than the other. Additionally, after the procedure, some of the injected fat will be digested as normal fat calories. And for this reason, our surgeon takes this potential fat loss into account when injecting fat into the buttocks. Patients must understand that the ideal shape and size will not be visible until about six months post-op.
TIPS FOR BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT RECOVERY
Compression Garments: Following a BBL operation, LUXE will provide a compression garment to help treat the LipoSculptured areas. Compression garments – restricts the amount of edema that forms, hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure, decreases the amount of bruising, and assists loose skin in retracting and shrinking. It is imperative for the patient to wear the compression garment for 23 hours a day, and to only remove the garment when showering or washing the garment. The patient needs to continue to wear their compression garment for 23 hours a day for the duration of their recovery process (six weeks in total).
Sitting and Sleeping: Patients must protect the grafted fat and keep any pressure off their buttocks for six weeks post-operative. To ensure patients are healing properly, LUXE provides a BBL pillow for patients to use while sitting. Patients must also sleep on their stomach over the course of recovery.
Lymphatic Drainage Massages: LUXE is partnered with a lymphatic drainage center to provide three post-operative massages (included in procedure cost). After LipoSculpture, the lymphatic channels are disrupted and take about two-three months to make new connection. Our surgeon agrees that adding a series of lymphatic massages to a patient’s post-op care routine can benefit and speedup recovery.
Radio-Frequency Cavitation Treatments: LUXE provides three post-operative Radio-Frequency Cavitation Treatments to all patients (included in procedure cost). This cavitation is effective in perfecting patients LipoSculpture results to help – smooth, tighten, reduce inflammation and rid lumps.
Nutrition and Fluid Intake: Proper nutrition and fluid intake is very important for the healing process. Incorporating more nutrition foods into the patients diet and drinking a sufficient amount of fluid/electrolytes helps maintain a healthy metabolism, aids in digestion and speeds up the recovery process.
Exercise: Patients are advised to keep away from high-impact physical activities/exercise until cleared by our surgeon. Preforming strenuous routines before patients are fully healed can affect the fat transferred. In the meantime, patients should maintain low-impact movement (such as walking) to further expedite recovery. About 6-8 weeks following the procedure, the fat cells transferred will be stable enough to undertake more vigorous exercise.
WHAT IS DISCUSSED DURING A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT CONSULTATION?
A patient’s consultation with LUXE Medical Artistry will lead the way in developing a personalized surgical plan best suited to meet the patient’s desires with a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL).
During a consultation, the LUXE team will:
- Take measurements and capture photos.
- Evaluate the patient’s general health status and pre-existing health conditions or risk factors.
- Discuss operative details and the post-operative timeline.
- Discuss the patient’s goals and expectations.
- Recommend a tailored course of treatment.
- Develop a personalized and realistic surgical plan.
- Discuss preparation details for the patient’s procedure and review post-operative care.
- Provide a quote for the patient’s formulated treatment plan.
- Discuss potential financing options.
- Answer any questions the patient may have.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT CONSULTATION
While patients should rely on the expertise and experience of the practice and the Board Certified Surgeon they trust, it is important that patients go into surgery with a foundation of knowledge. Patients should arm themselves with basic information about the surgical process, any associated risks, and what to expect from recovery.
To help, LUXE has prepared a checklist of questions to ask during a consultation:
- Does the American Board of Surgery certify the surgeon?
- Am I good candidate for this procedure?
- What will be expected of me to get the best results?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of assistance will I need during my recovery?
- What are potential risks and complications associated with this procedure?
- Does the surgeon follow the safety guidelines for gluteal fat grafting?
- How can I expect my buttocks to look over time?
- What surgical plan is best suited for me?
- Do I need to gain or lose weight before my procedure?
HOW TO GET A SAFE BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT
Although Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) procedures have been shown to have a higher complication rate than other cosmetic procedures, there are many patients who have received safe and beautifully completed fat grafting.
In order to achieve that, patients must know how to approach the procedure safely.
It is crucial that patients’ work with a Board Certified Surgeon who has successfully preformed Brazilian Butt Lifts (BBLs) for a range of patients. The surgeon should recognize limitations of the procedure, be up-to-date on the latest safety precautions, and be completely transparent with patients about what to expect with surgery and recovery.
HOW MUCH DOES A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT COST?
Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) cost varies and is completely dependent on each patient’s individualized treatment plan.
At LUXE Medical Artistry, Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) procedures start at $9000.
Insurance does not cover Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) procedures, because it is not considered to be medically necessary.
However, financing is an option for patients to explore. The high quality, personalized care that LUXE provides is made more available and affordable through financing. If patients are looking to fund their plastic surgery procedure, patients may wish to finance through the providers LUXE partners with (CareCredit or United Medical Credit). Further discussion of affordable monthly payments plans can be held during a consultation at LUXE.
Lastly, traveling outside of the United States for a cheaper procedure is increasingly common, particularly for a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL), but many patients are seeing disastrous results. Budgeting for a procedure may be difficult and time-consuming, but working with a qualified surgeon who can keep patients safe and who can provide results is - priceless.
HOW LONG DOES A BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT LAST?
The results of a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) will vary from patient-to-patient.
Within the first two weeks, patients may lose up to 20 percent of their initial volume. This is normal, and our surgeon 'overfills' in order to compensate for this potential loss. After that, the buttocks will begin to generate and produce additional fat cells, which will cause a natural increase in volume. Volume will stabilize between three and six months.
Patients can expect Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) results to last several years, and perhaps several decades. For the best Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) results however, patients are encouraged to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle without extreme changes to their weight.